Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 46




In 2001 I feel in love with this face on the All Terrier Rescue website and drove to Hillsboro to adopt her on the spot. Her old name was Kizzy, but we quickly renamed her Alice. She just looked like an Alice. She was around three or four years old at that time, and she had been given up for adoption twice before. I'll never understand that, because she was the sweetest dog I'd ever known. Her only fault was digging in the garbage whenever we had chicken, looking for any leftovers or bones that might be there. We tried to keep her out by using childproof latches, but she figured those out right away. She was half saluki and half border collie, and she had the best attributes of each breed. She was active, but willing to nap for hours when you didn't feel like playing fetch anymore. For years she was my walking companion, running out ahead of me, then coming back for a treat, then doing it again. On her last few walks, she could barely keep up and then she couldn't go at all. She helped me cook dinner and went with me on weekend errands until she couldn't get in and out of the car anymore. She never laughed at crazy ideas I might have or rolled her eyes like my human family sometimes does, and this she was able to do until the very end. I said goodbye to her this morning and tonight my heart is breaking.




5 comments:

  1. Oh Melaney, my heart is breaking right along with yours.

    I am so, so sorry.

    I truly believe that we never replace the spot in our hearts that they have made, but when the time is right, you will know it and a whole new spot will be made.

    Might be tomorrow, next week, next month. Alice will take care of you.

    She was a beautiful and good dog. Don't know who was more lucky, you or Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melaney, I completley understand your heart break. I had a dog like this too and had to let him go 5 years ago. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. They sure understand you and are the best friends ever, no matter what silly thing you do, they never judge you, just unconditional love. So sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Dog's Prayer

    by Beth Norman Harris

    Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

    Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

    Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

    When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though you had no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper.

    Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

    And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest -- and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely--I hope we did all those things for Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you guys did all those things and more for Alice. I’m so very sorry that your heart is broken, I completely understand how you feel. My heart is broken as well, I love Alice very much. The office will just not be the same without her there. My family and I are so thankful for the memories we have with Alice, what a wonderful dog!

    ReplyDelete